TIENE EN SU CESTA DE LA COMPRA
en total 0,00 €
en total 0,00 €
Setting the stage with a selection of readings from important nineteenth century philosophers, this reader on truth puts in conversation some of the main philosophical figures from the twentieth century in the analytic, continental, and pragmatist traditions.
Focuses on the value or normativity of truth through exposing the dialogues between different schools of thought
Features philosophical figures from the twentieth century in the analytic, continental, and pragmatist traditions
Topics addressed include the normative relation between truth and subjectivity, consensus, art, testimony, power, and critique
Includes essays by Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, James, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Wittgenstein, Levinas, Arendt, Foucault, Rorty, Davidson, Habermas, Derrida, and many others
Table of Contents
Part I. The Value of Truth: "Revaluing our highest valuesö.
1. Friedrich Nietzsche On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense.
2. William James Pragmatism's Conception of Truth.
Part II. Representation, Subjectivity, and Intersubjectivity.
3. Soren Kierkegaard Truth, Subjectivity and Communication.
4. Ludwig Wittgenstein Remarks on Truth.
5. Donald Davidson Truth and Meaning.
6. Hilary Putnam The Face of Cognition.
Part III. Truth, Consensus, and Transcendence.
7. Richard Rorty Representation, Social Practice, and Truth.
8. Jurgen Habermas Richard Rorty's Pragmatic Turn.
9. John McDowell Towards Rehabilitating Objectivity.
10. Paul Feyerabend Notes on Relativism.
Part IV. Non-Propositional Truth: Language, Art and World.
11. Gianni Vattimo The Truth of Hermeneutics (with additional remarks).
12. Joseph Margolis Relativism and Cultural Relativity.
13. Maurice Merleau-Ponty Perception and Truth (with additional remarks).
14. Jacques Derrida The End of the Book and the Beginning of Writing.
Part V. Disclosure and Testimony.
15. Edmund Husserl Self-Evidence and Truth (with additional remarks).
16. Martin Heidegger On the Essence of Truth (with additional remarks).
17. Emmanuel Levinas Truth of Disclosure and Truth of Testimony.
18. Catherine Z. Elgin Word Giving, Word Taking.
Part VI. Truth and Power.
19. Hannah Arendt Truth in Politics.
20. Michel Foucault The Discourse on Language (with additional remarks).
21. Linda Alcoff Reclaiming Truth.
Part VII. A Supplement: Radicalizations of Truth.
22. An essay perforated with short excerpts from Zizek, Butler, Irigaray, Baudrillard and Deleuze.